Saturday, December 4, 2010

College Athletics: Will Texas State hit the lottery in its search for a new head coach?

It's safe to say Jerry and Linda Fields have invested quite a bit of money into the future of the Texas State athletic department, mostly on behalf of the football program. After all, their names grace the West Side Complex (for which they donated $6 million of the $17 million needed to finance the project).

Could the Fields have another blank check up their sleeves when it comes to ensuring the future of the program? Maybe for a new head coach? As Jerry D. Fields said in this e-mail chain, "The nice thing I like is speculation."

Here is my recent e-mail correspondence with Jerry D. Fields in its entirety.

From: Tyler Mayforth
To: Jerry D. Fields

Jerry,

This is Tyler Mayforth from the San Marcos Daily Record. We've met several times on the way up the elevator inside Bobcat Stadium on game days. I'd like to talk with you about your take on the future of the [football] program with all that's happened recently. If that's possible, just let me know. Thanks.

Regards,

Tyler Mayforth


From: Jerry D. Fields
To: Tyler Mayforth

Hello Tyler,

Actually, I am out of the country and will not return until March 1st. I am in Mexico and then to Argentina, Paris, Tokyo, London, Helsinki and then South Africa.

As the first President George Bush said, "I have an opinion on everything, but it does not mean that I am right."


From: Tyler Mayforth
To: Jerry D. Fields

Sounds like you're going to have quite the tour. A few friends of mine went to the World Cup this summer in South Africa and then hit Tokyo. They had only good things to say about both places.

Your opinion is exactly the reason I wanted to contact you. When you invest as much money into Texas State and the athletic department as you do, people tend to listen.

Have you been contacted by Dr. [Larry] Teis or anybody about potential candidates? If you had a choice, who would you want to see as head coach of the football team?

This can only help get word out about Texas State and the future of the program. Thanks in advance.

- Tyler


From: Jerry D. Fields
To: Tyler Mayforth

I read your article in the Record about what will Texas State do for a head coach. Interesting to say the least. The nice thing that I like is speculation. I remember those that said, no new stadium, where would the money come from? I remember those who said no FBS, where would the money come from? I think that you are now asking, Big Time Head Coach, where will the money come from? Who knows, maybe someone will win the Lotto.

Too many small time thinkers, in a small town, that does not realize that some people pay $1000 per bottle for a bottle of wine. Going to drink one tonight. Can hardly wait to see. I like your idea about all of those that signed the petition donate the money. What fun would that be? Maybe Tommy Foote will lead the pac.

Have a nice weekend.

No comments: