Thursday, March 11, 2010

College Basketball: What they said


Here's a batch of quotes from both coaches and some players following Texas State's 79-78 overtime loss to Southeastern Louisana in the quarterfinals of the Southland Conference tournament.

Texas State head coach Doug Davalos on Cameron Johnson and Ryan White: "It's ridiculous these guys weren't selected to the all-conference teams or at least honorable mention (NOTE: Johnson was honored as a third-team selection). We would not have been here without them. It's fitting that they're here. They have carried us on their back for most of the game and I appreciate what they've done and I look forward to coaching them another year."

Davalos on what cost his team the game: "Our inability to handle the ball cost us. I told them we won our last three games by handling the ball down the stretch. You can't win by turning it over 21 times."

Davalos on how the game slipped out of their grasps: "We didn’t play well enough down the stretch to win this game and I told these guys, ‘Don’t beat yourself up. I take responsibility for this game.’ The problem with this game was the first five minutes of this second half."

Texas State junior guard Ryan White on what the Bobcats could have done differently: "If I had the answer, we wouldn’t have lost right now. I really can’t tell you. We would have won the game if I knew that answer."

Texas State junior forward Cameron Johnson on what the team can take from this defeat: "Throughout this offseason, we just have to remember this game and as a leader, I need to be able to show some poise. When they were going on their run, there were some times that I could have stepped up and settled my troops. I also take responsibility for this."

Southeastern Louisiana head coach Jim Yarbrough on the comeback: "We knew it was in us, but you hate to be in that position, but it’s why they call it March Madness. You don’t know how it’s going to go, but you’re have to keep fighting."

Southeastern Louisiana senior forward Patrick Sullivan on the end of the game: "I just knew I needed to come out and put my team up. I knew that there was no tomorrow and I had to do this with me being a senior."

No comments: