Friday, August 13, 2010

College Football: Quotables from Media Day (Marcus Clark)

Marcus Clark is an ideal linebacker in Texas State's scheme.

Clark is stout enough to handle the inside run, quick enough to keep up with an opposing tight end or wide receiver down the field and smart enough to learn defensive coordinator Fred Bleil's complicated blitz packages.

Last year, Clark led the team with 95 tackles (39 solo) and finished one-half tackle shy of the team lead in tackles for a loss (Travis Houston paced the Bobcats with 8.5). Clark also hauled in one interception and registered two sacks.

Clark, a soon-to-be four-year starter on defense, will be looked upon once again to be a leader. Here is what Clark had to say during Texas State Media Day.

On what the team lacked in 2009: "We weren't mentally tough -- especially during that Southeastern Louisiana game, we lost that because we lost our focus. They were down 24 and they came back to beat us. We want to have that fight from the first quarter until the fourth."

On what the loss to Southeastern Louisiana taught him about the team: "It showed that we could fight back. It didn't look good at that game, but from that game on, we had that focus. Our only loss was to McNeese State and that wasn't a bad loss. We didn't lose focus. The better team won."

On how he wants to improve as a leader: "I am going to go 100 percent all the time. That's the hardest thing for somebody to do, but I'm used to it now. I feel I'm mentally strong enough to do it, so I want the rest of the team to be at my level."

On being named a Preseason All-SLC Second-Team Defensive Back: "It's a great honor and at first I thought (the SLC) knew something I didn't because they put me as a defensive back, but once I asked Coach (Brad) Wright, he told me they couldn't put me in as a linebacker so they wanted to find room for me somewhere. Better to be mentioned than not at all, I guess."

No comments: