Wednesday, August 11, 2010

College Football: Quotables from Media Day (Adley Eshraghipour)

Imagine showing up to your first day of college football practice and finding out you weren't going to play the position for which you thought you were being recruited.

If you're Adley Eshraghipour and you're reading this blog (let me first say, 'Welcome'), then you already know what I'm talking about.

For all of those who aren't Eshraghipour, this is what he had to say at Texas State's 2010 Media Day.

On being recognized as a member of the Preseason All-SLC Second Team: "It feels great, I'm not going to lie, but it surprised me. I didn't expect it and to be honest, when I got here, I didn't expect to play defense. I started rolling with it and being All-Conference is awesome."

On his reaction to the coaches telling him he'd play defense after spending 99 percent of his high school career on the offensive side of the ball: "I got up here and asked if that bald guy (Bobcats assistant head coach/co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Ben Norton) was going to be my coach and he looked at the defensive line coach looked at me and said, 'No, I'm your coach.' It caught me by surprise because I hadn't been told and I just got to the school, but it was fine."

On the biggest difference between an offensive and defensive mindset: "I'm not focused on keeping someone from getting to the ball any more. Right now, I'm trying to take the ball from the other team. It took me a few days to get used to it my first year, but now it's a lot of fun."

On the defensive line in 2010: "We had a lot of people graduate or transfer, but those guys who are still here and their backups are just as good, if not better. Our D-line is set and we're excited."

On the team's potential in 2010: "We're all hungry and ready to turn that potential into something. We had a little meeting, all of the leaders, and one thing we talked about was we have two back-to-back winning seasons, but that's not enough. We want to go back-to-back-to-back."

Check back in tomorrow for more quotes from Texas State Media Day. Tomorrow, the Cats' Cradle will feature Preseason All-SLC Second Team LB/DB Marcus Clark.

No comments: