Wednesday, February 3, 2010

College Football: Quotables from Signing Day (updated)

Carthage head football coach Scott Surratt on new Texas State defensive tackle DeShun Williams:
  • "I've been coaching for 20 years and he's the best defensive lineman I've been around."
  • "His first step is something else. He's so quick off the ball."
  • "When we matched him up one-on-one with an opposing offensive lineman, we knew there wasn't a player in the state who could stop him."
H.M. King head football coach Andrew Hrncir on new Texas State tight end David Lewis:
  • "There was never a doubt that David would sign with Texas State. Rice and Baylor also had interest in him, but when he visited Texas State, that's where he wanted to go."
  • "He's big (6-foot-4, 240 pounds) but he can move."
Clear Springs head football coach Clint Hartman on new Texas State wide receiver DeChe' Milburn:
  • "He's a steal. DeChe' is probably the best wide receiver in high school that I've coached."
  • "He has great hands and I believe he's a natural-born leader."
  • "DeChe' was one of two players on our team who we made an effort to get the ball to five times in the first half. If he didn't have five catches by halftime, somebody was going to get chewed out."
Milburn on himself (just got off the phone with him):
  • "It feels great to sign with Texas State. It's been my goal since I was little to play college football and finally it's going to happen."
  • "I moved from Arizona to Texas, so a lot of schools lost interest, but out of the ones that stayed, Texas State fought the hardest."
  • "I didn't know much about the school to begin with, but once I visited, I knew it was the place I wanted to be. It was a bigger school than I expected and the coaches are all really good guys."
  • "I'm going to catch every ball that's thrown to me. I know how to make plays when the ball is in my hands. I know how to make people miss in the open field."
Cuero head football coach Rick Owens on new Texas State quarterback Tyler Arndt:
  • "Tyler is a proven winner. He's started for us since his sophomore year and kept getting better."
  • "There were times when I thought there wasn't a play to be made, but Tyler put the ball right where it needed to be."
La Marque head football coach Darrell Jordan on new Texas State wide receiver Michael Gilmore:
  • "He makes things happen in a hurry."
  • "He's going to excel on the next level, there's no doubt. He was our kick and punt returner and teams finally learned to kick the ball away from him."
  • "Pound for pound, he's one of the best receivers I've ever coached."
  • "He's not a rah-rah guy. He's not a party guy. He's going to make this and that community proud."
Lake Dallas head football coach Michael Young on new Texas State linebacker Drew Hamilton:
  • "Drew is a kid who plays with so much heart and intensity that we had to slow him down out there sometimes."
  • "There were times when a running back was well across the field, but Drew would track him down and make a play."
  • "I don't know whether he'll play inside or outside for Texas State, but he'll play."
Taylor head football coach Flint Risien on new Texas State tight end Trent Guiberteau:
  • "He's a very versatile player with great hands. He's a great blocker out in space and you can spread him out or move him in tight."
  • "When he locks on to somebody, he's a guy who is going to finish the block the whole way through the echo of the whistle."
  • "Trent has always been interested in Texas State as a place to go academically. It's a great situation for him now that he can play football too."
New Luling athletic director Michael Waldie on new Texas State defensive back Craig Mager (who played RB in high school):
  • "He's one of the most explosive players I've seen and that's saying something because I've sent five kids to FBS schools in the last two years."
  • "He has a gear that not many people are blessed with."

No comments: