Friday, February 12, 2010

College Basketball: Quotables from Thursday's practice


Texas State head coach Doug Davalos


On the importance of a team video session: "Guys have to see that they missed a block out, I watched. I didn’t finish a play. I didn’t go up with two hands. It needs to be an accountability that they can do better next time. In this day and age, if guys don’t feel that they can think ‘Oh, he’s not talking to me,’ they need to see themselves. If not, they think you are talking to the other guys."

On what happened in the last three games (Bobcats are 1-2): "I don’t think teams are playing harder than us right now, they’re just executing better than us. Executing involves rebounding. It’s not just Xs and Os with executing, it’s rebounding, blocking out, feeding the post at the right angle. Those are things that are execution plays that we have to do better."


Texas State forward Cameron Johnson

On why his numbers go up in conference play: "For me, personally, it’s just knowing that it’s one less conference season than I’ll have in my career. It doesn’t matter whether you win or lose in those preseason games because they won’t count toward the conference tournament. These games mean a lot more as they get fewer and fewer."

On the importance of these last six games: "These games are huge because our records are so close at this point in time. The smallest separation we can get between ourselves and the next teams is key."

No comments: