Friday, July 16, 2010

College Football: The reason behind Dews' transfer

Here is the letter (cleaned up for grammatical accuracy) sent from the Dews family to Texas State head coach Brad Wright, wide receivers coach Kevin Brown and athletic director Dr. Larry Teis as well as the Daily Record.

Wright had no comment about the situation when asked. Sources within the program denied these accusations.

To Coach Wright, the Head Football Coach at Texas State University:

I, Ralston Dews, will not return to Texas State in the fall of 2010. I plan to attend Tyler Junior College for one semester, and in December 2010, I plan to be recruited at the D-1 [FBS] level.

Coach Wright, I love Texas State but the coaching staff does not stand behind their players.

When SMU left me out in the cold, my dad stood behind me, when I needed the coaching staff to help me, no one was there.

Coach, back in May after my finals, I had a 58 on one final, I needed a 60 that would get me over the top. My instructor said to have one of the coaches to come see him and then he would help me, because I am an ODS [Office of Disability Services] student. But the coaching staff only said there is nothing we could do.

So I got an F.

I needed 18 credits, the F gave me a negative credit and when [Texas State Assistant Athletic Director of the Athletic Academic Center] Dave [Flores] failed to drop a class for me that gave me another negative credit.

Dave [Flores] instructed me to go to Tyler Junior College [for summer school]. The same class I failed at Texas State, I got a B at TJC.

Coach Wright, I did every thing you and the staff asked of me. I worked hard all year looking forward to being the starting nose tackle for Texas State in the fall.

Coach Wright, when Dave [Flores] gave me the news that I would not play football in the fall, this was a great disappointment for me. Coach, as of today, you still haven't called me.

My dad is the only person who has my back.

Coach Wright, when you told the team, “If you would like to go to the N.F.L., well, you are at the wrong school.” Now I believe that.

I would like to get my degree and someday have a chance to play in the N.F.L. This is my dream.

Thank you for everything,

Ralston Dews

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I can feel for Mr. Dews, did this have to be published? Obviously he struggled in this class long before the final exam. Why didn't he reach out for help earlier? Why didn't he get a tutor or approach his professor or, at the very least, ask someone what to do?
The coaching staff can't be held responsible for 85 guys and all their classes. That is the responsibility of the student.

San Marcos Daily Record said...

Anonymous,

We felt, as a staff, many fans of Texas State had questions as to why Dews transferred. We asked the Dews family if they would like it published and they said 'Yes.'

Hopefully this clears up more questions than it raises.

Jeff said...

I hope that things work out for Ralston at TJC. I was looking forward to seeing him on the field next year but I think that coach Wright handled the situation in an appropriate manner. It's unfortunate that this letter had to be published, I feel as though this letter makes things look worse for Ralston then it does for Texas State.