Tuesday, May 18, 2010

College Baseball: J-Mart steals home

Baseball is usually a game of intricate signs and technical, lingo-based conversations.

While that may be true, it wasn't the case in the bottom of the fifth inning of Tuesday's games between Texas State and Prairie View A&M.

With Jason Martinson standing 90 feet from scoring the go-ahead run, Bobcats third-base coach Jeremy Fikac pulled Martinson aside. Fikac, a former pitcher in the MLB, had timed Panthers pitcher Benjamin Blackburn's delivery and noticed a hitch.

"Fikac pulled out his stopwatch and turned to me after the first pitch and was like, 'Three seconds. You think you can make it home?'," Martinson said. "I was like, 'Yeah. Do you want me to?' He told me, 'If you get a big enough lead, just take off.'"

Martinson began to inch off third base and once Blackburn began his ensuing delivery, the junior broke for home.

"I got a pretty good jump and had a pretty good lead to start with," Martinson said, "so I knew I was going to make it."

It was Martinson's eighth stolen base of the season.

No comments: