Friday, October 16, 2009

Garelick working through growing pains

Justin Garelick lined up with Texas State down 51-50 in overtime against Southeastern Louisiana.

The Bobcat freshman kicker needed to split the uprights to send the game into a second overtime. He took his steps and took a few deep breaths.

Snap. Hold. Kick.

Clang.

Garelick's attempt bounced off the left upright and Texas State lost to the Lions for the first time in 13 games. He collapsed to the ground, hands on top of his head and waited.

The freshman kicker didn't know how his teammates would respond. Moreover, Garelick had no idea how his coaches, specifically Brad Wright would handle his fourth missed extra-point attempt this season.

"I expected the worst, just because I've never been through a situation like this," Garelick said. "But it felt a lot better after the game knowing the coaches still supported me and every single player came up to talk to me."

Garelick replayed the kick in his mind Saturday night and then all day Sunday. By the time he got to Monday's film study, it began to leave his memory and after a few kicks Tuesday, it was gone.

Kickers are supposed to have short memories. They get so many chances in a season to showcase their talents, but when something goes horribly wrong it gets magnified.

"I always try to forget the past and focus on the future," Garelick said. "If you have a bad streak, you forget about it and move on to the next one. You just try and focus each time when you need to get ready for a game."

Garelick's been the starting kicker ever since Ryan Batchelor strained his hip flexor in fall camp. Wright tabbed Garelick as former Texas State kicker Andrew Ireland's heir apparent once he recruited him out of Pflugerville High.

Garelick still has a lot to learn as a collegiate kicker.

He can't use a tee on field goals or extra-point attempts, which forces him to try to get more power behind his steps. Garelick has buried a 44-yard field goal this season, yet has missed four extra points.

"I need to make sure I hit the ball pure every time," Garelick said. "Sometimes I don't, but I'm working on getting more consistent."

While kicking in larger stadiums might be unnerving for the freshman kicker, Garelick feels at ease when he's on the field. It doesn't matter if he's lined up for a 44-yard field goal or a game-tying extra point.

"I definitely feel like I'm handling the pressure better than I thought I would," Garelick said. "Once I get the feel down and settle in a bit, I should be fine."

No comments: